Friday 29 June 2012

your favourite film

Once upon a time, there was a quiet little village in the French countryside, whose people believed in Tranquilité - Tranquility. If you lived in this village, you understood what was expected of you. You knew your place in the scheme of things. And if you happened to forget, someone would help remind you. In this village, if you saw something you weren't supposed to see, you learned to look the other way. If perchance your hopes had been disappointed, you learned never to ask for more. So through good times and bad, famine and feast, the villagers held fast to their traditions. Until, one winter day, a sly wind blew in from the North ...
from Chocolat 

It is Friday and my weekend advice is simple: Watch your favourite film. I bet you have many so it's not always easy to choose. I plan to find and buy Chocolat (2000) by Lasse Hallström, which was based on the book with the same title by Joanne Harris. It's been a long time since I watched it and it always leaves me inspired. This film touches on so many themes but what I've always loved about it, apart from all the delicious chocolate and food scenes, is the use of colours.

When Vianne [Juliette Binoche] and her daughter arrive in town, a small village in France in 1959, they are wearing red capes and Vianne always wears red shoes when the other women in town wear black ones. Another example is the transformation of Josephine's character [Lena Olin] that is seen through her wardrobe change. By the way, Lasse Hallström who directed the film is the husband of Lena Olin. The cast is amazing: Judi Dench, Alfred Molina and Johnny Depp, just to name a few. I found one of my favourite scenes on YouTube and here is the trailer for those who haven't seen the film.

 HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND DEAR READERS AND BLOG FRIENDS 

photo credit:
top & bottom left: via IMDb
rest: unknown source via Tumblr


YouTube: a scene from Chocolat

12 comments:

  1. This is a good film and I haven't seen it in a long time. I've given up long ago trying to choose my favourite film, there are so many, it's hard to even pick a few. I love to find out how one notices the details in a film: like the role colour or the wardrobe plays in the plot along with the dialogue and action. It's fascinating, isn't it? I wish you a sunny weekend, Lisa! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know it was just on tv last week! I remember seeing Chocolat at the movies years ago and just loved it- Juliette Binoche is a favourite of mine. Um, Johnny Depp,... hello! And beautiful set decoration too. Well I watched my favourite documentary just now- The Day Before, have you heard of it? 6 part series filming the ateliers of designers on the day before a big show. I watched it last year and now they're re-showing it - documentaries behind the scenes are my favourite! As for movies, Houseboat was in the dvd player last weekend.. this weekend, hmmm who knows! Sending you happy thoughts for the weekend ahead:)
    PS: yes, they were mine.. thank youx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this movie and haven't thought about it for ages. In the meantime, I will be watching Amelie. Very glad to have come across your blog. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is indeed my favorite movie - I simply love it and have seen many times now ;o) Juliette is a great actor ;o) Have a nice weekend Lisa - I'm in Carlsbad California on vacation ;o) It's great and weather is nice ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great movie, saw it several times. I might watch a DVD I got for my birthday, Carnage. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolat is a lovely movie: delicate story and great actors! It's indeed impossible to choose a single movie as there are way too many good ones from the Hollywood 'golden age' to our days...Lisa, I wish you a great w-e!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that movie as well, I remember my mom gave it to me and I thought it would be a bit of a drag. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised :)

    Happy weekend Lisa!
    Signe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dieser Film ist einfach wunder - wunderschön!

    Märchenhaft!

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this movie. I just found 'love actually' at the bottom of a moving box. I know it's a christmas movie, but I think I might still watch it.

    happy weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It´s a great movie - I´m also a big fan of Amélie, so good with fantastic photo and colors! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa. Tina from London, originally from Germany.

    I'm a real film buff so too difficult to name my favourite film.
    Chocolat was delightful on so many levels.

    Got here via the lovely Igor.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate er yndisleg - einmitt þessi smáatriði. Það er ekkert svo langt síðan ég sá hana fyrst. Skil ekki hvernig hún fór framhjá mér á sínum tíma. Hugsa að ég horfi á A Good Year með Russel Crowe í kvöld. Ekkert endilega uppáhalds en það er ferðafiðringur í mér sem ég þarf að næra :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.