Friday 31 August 2012

the last weekend advice & music


I meant to blog sooner today but I have been enjoying such a productive and an inspiring day and I even managed to squeeze in a phone call with a close friend in Iceland. The day has flown by and before I know it I'll put on my apron and start making the Friday pizzas. In fact, A called from work to ask if I needed anything for the pizza making and I decided to tease him and said with a rather serious voice: "You know what, I think I'll skip the pizzas today, as I'm not in the mood to make them." I wish I could allow you to hear the silence that followed. I could almost touch that silence. I was picturing him with a facial expression indicating that his world had just crumbled. When I told him I was kidding he said with almost a shocking voice: "Are you trying to kill me?" This is what happens when you make pizzas every Friday. We have been doing that for more than two years now and Fridays in this home without home-made pizzas are simply unthinkable.

For the new readers and followers out there, on Fridays this summer I have been giving weekend advices. These have just been simple things, something to remind people that there is more to life than material things. We all need some basic stuff but we also need to be able to slow down and enjoy the things we already have. I'm one of those people that enjoy the little things in life. I don't need any grand gestures; a good cup of latte and a walk along cobblestone streets will make my heart ecstatic.

So, my final weekend advice this summer is as follows: Take all your 'must-do' and 'must-have' lists and throw them away! Seriously, if you have written anything down, tear that paper and throw it away. There are no must-dos and must-haves in this world. If you have any such ideas, about not having enough or needing something in particular, these ideas are there because they were made by people whose job it is to sell you something. Everyone is trying to sell you something. Stop comparing what you have to what other people have, especially people that have more money than you (by the way, has it ever occurred to you that they also have more debts than you?). Use this weekend to celebrate your life as it is right now, celebrate it with the things you already have.

I'm ending this post with a special song, The Guests by Leonard Cohen. Here it is performed by Antony & the Johnsons, a beautiful live performance, and here the master himself talks about what the song means before performing it.

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND DEAR READERS AND BLOG FRIENDS

photo credit:

12 comments:

  1. of, what a grateful advice;) i am at work with the calendar and the to do list in front of my eyes, almost driving me crazy and trying to organize some things. I think I will throw them away and go for a walk in a park. thank you!

    denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, good for you Denise!

      Well, people's jobs often comes with all kinds of to-do stuff (I don't want to get you fired!!!) but I'm just talking about life in general, about some ridiculous ideas that are camping in our minds.

      Delete
    2. hihi,I m still here (at work) so do not worry :)

      denise

      Delete
  2. No to do list - only a *must* on friday evening.
    :-))

    Schönes Wochenende!
    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm throwing mine away now and headed home to see my mum! Not before a little lusting after one of your homemade Friday pizzas, though - they sound great! Have a lovely weekend, Lisa! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a healthy piece of advice: stop comparing what you have to others'. Have a great weekend, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. comparison - the root of all evil. and no one ever compares themselves with people who have less, or are in worse situations. at least never for long.

    I don't have a must-have list, but a sort of want-to-do list (in my mind, so I can't tear it up :), but I've been reevaluating it a lot lately. if something is on that list for years and I haven't done anything about it, how badly do I really want to do it? or do I just think I 'need' to do it to live up to someone else's standards. comparison again... so I figure I get rid of all the things on that list that don't get me truly excited and stick with the rest. because sometimes practicalities do keep you from doing things right away...

    happy weekend my dear. and thanks for a fabulous post xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very good to do homemade pizza's on a Friday. I refuse to cook on a Friday - by then I have run out of steam so we usually get take-out pizza, although my family much prefers home-made. I will make sure they don't read your blog! What I will be doing, though, is tearing up my to-do lists! Happy Saturday! X Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read an article in the paper just this morning about something similar...and couldn't agree more - I'll have to find it for you! Have a great weekend - trust the pizza's were a smash...:)x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your advice, especially in fashion this is so easy to do. I'm thinking how great it would be to start this Friday night tradition and thanks for the link--I'm new to Antony & the Johnsons, and love the music!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little prank on A and his response was adorable. It's so wonderful that you have a tradition that's lasted that long. I love your advice this week particularly, it's so easy to get caught up in the lists and the chores and we miss the moment...have a great week lovely xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful advice Lisa (I am so guilty of comparison)! I hadn't read this before the weekend but I threw away my lists on Friday and had a fantastic weekend sightseeing and enjoying the Paralympics! It was so liberating that I think I might make this a regular thing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.